Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013 - Yosemite in the fall

Yosemite National Park, CA – December 7-8, 2013

An ever increasing force pulled me towards the Sierras after a fall season filled with home improvement projects.  The sensation peaked on Thanksgiving weekend when Verneta, Susan and I visited the Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton.  From there I saw the Sierras calling me to come and play. 

It was time to get to the mountains, and fast. By Tuesday a cold front brought a severe blast of Arctic air to California. The forecast called for precipitation to begin on Friday evening and drop over a foot of snow in the Yosemite Valley by Saturday evening.  I purchased snow chains on my way home from work on Friday night and packed sandwiches for a fun solo adventure (Yosemite requires four wheel drive vehicles to carry chains). 

I was so excited for this trip that I hit the road at 3:45AM Saturday morning.  Travelling early in the morning was ideal as I had the highways to myself.  I took route 140 along the Merced River due to its relatively low elevation approach to the park and encountered snow around 1,000 feet.   Despite slippery roads for the final hour, I reached the entrance before 8AM.  I was alone to take in the spectacular views that welcomed me during a brief break in the storm.


After capturing a bunch of photos, I started my snowshoe through a foot of snow and heavy snow showers.  I climbed the old wagon path from Bridalveil Falls to Stanford Point.  Unfortunately, the clouds that brought the powdery snow blocked the spectacular views that normally reward this 6 mile / ~3,700 foot climb from the Valley to the Rim.  View or no view, I was happy to be there and thoroughly enjoyed breaking my own trail and seeing only deer and bear tracks during the six hour journey. I did a post-hike drive through the Valley to watch the sunset before heading down to El Portal for the night.


The next morning I was back on the trail under crisp blue skies and brisk 14 degree temperatures.  The Valley was exceedingly pretty with powdery snow covering the ground and trees.  I expected crowds, but again found solitude and unbroken trail while I followed Tenaya Creek past Mirror Lake.  After crossing the bridge I started up the Snow Creek trail to a vantage point well above the trees.  My climb yielded supreme views of Cloud's Rest, Half Dome, Sentinel Dome and the aftermath of the Ahwiyah Point rock fall.  I sat down to take it all in before meandering along the valley floor and crossing more bear tracks before reaching the car.

I finished this fun weekend with a burger and fries at the Priest Station Cafe.  I felt fortunate to arrive home just in time for a fun evening hike in the Santa Cruz Mountains, sans snowshoes, with Susan.
 

No comments: